By Dr. Todd Disotell
“Just because a species hasn’t been found doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. There are many new species discovered each and every year.” So when you are collecting evidence “Don’t blow it”. Here are a few tips:
Dr. Disotell suggests for all those collecting hair samples or trace evidence:
- Take a picture of the area and it’s surrounding.
- Document the time, date, location and weather conditions.
- Put a mask over your mouth, and gloves over your hands, prior to approaching the area.
- Collect the hair with sterilized tweezers.
- Place in a DNA Collection Tube or Glassine Envelopes.
- Document the side of the tube or envelope with a sample description unique to each sample.
- Contact Paleo DNA Laboratories